A neighbourhood with an extraordinary design heritage, renowned for its creatives throughout the centuries, Chelsea will be participating for the first time in this year’s London Design Festival 2019, with the creation of the Chelsea Design District.
See our news section for more tips from experts in their field
From architecture to interiors, fashion and jewellery to fitness and food, Chelsea flourishes today as a neighbourhood rich in artistry and artisan making. To celebrate this, the Chelsea Design District will see a series of events, experiences and talks from Saturday 14th –Sunday 22nd September.
For those looking to marvel at exhibition spaces, key highlights include Duke of York Square’s Saatchi Gallery which will be hosting the inaugural I-MADE, London’s first exhibition solely dedicated to Italian design and manufacture, along with talks and workshops that capture the country’s passion, innovation and craftsmanship.
At the nearby National Army Museum, guests can experience ‘The Art of Persuasion’ exploring the life and legacy of iconic designer Abram Games. The exhibition will examine his time as ‘Official War Poster Artist’ during the Second World War and the legacy that continues to influence the art of persuasion employed by visual designers today.
Visitors to the Chelsea Design District can also experience a series of talks at various locations, including a presentation by Chelsea resident Peter Jones on the fascinating story of their Grade II listed building, with a pop-up exhibition exploring how the bricks and mortar shop has changed from 1877 to present day, ahead of the store’s renovation of its iconic façade.
Other highlights include Anthropologie, which will be showcasing ‘The World of Kaffe Fasset’, known for his colourful designs in the decorative arts, while The Rug Company will be celebrating their collaboration with Winch Design by exhibiting a new collection of hand-knitted rugs inspired by the textures of the natural world; sand underfoot, clear blue of tropical seas, bursts of sunlight and rolling clouds after rainfall.
Socially conscious fashion brand Eileen Fisher will be hosting a talk on their innovative ‘Waste no more’ movement, a zero waste initiative that brings together creativity and innovation, and visitors to jewellery designer Annoushka Ducas MBE will be taken on a journey into her multi-sensory world and the abundant textures and colours that inspired her new ‘Hidden Reef’ collection.
The full programme of events across the Chelsea Design District at London Design Festival 2019 includes:
–Collaboration with Caroline Issa, Monica Vinader – a series of events across London Design Festival to celebrate the collaboration, colour and distinctive design.
– Timothy Oulton Flagship Store Launch at Bluebird – the daring furniture and interiors brand is launching its new worldwide flagship gallery at Bluebird, featuring its most iconic designs alongside rare vintage collectibles and one-offs including a custom-designed spaceship.
– I-Made at Saatchi – Saatchi hosts the inaugural I-MADE, London’s first exhibition solely dedicated to Italian design and manufacture along with talks and workshops that capture the country’s passion, innovation and craftmanship. 19-22 September
– The Art of Persuasion, The National Army Museum – major exhibition exploring the life and legacy of the iconic designer Abram Games, focusing on his time as ‘Official War Poster Artist' during the Second World War.
– Peter Jones & Partners presents the story of their building – Chelsea stalwart Peter Jones presents the fascinating story of its Grade II listed building, with a pop-up exhibition exploring how the shop has changed from 1877 to today, as the store prepares to renovate its iconic facade.
– ‘The World of Kaffe Fasset’, Anthropologie – an exhibition to include new and exclusive pieces as well as treasures from the past.
– Collaboration with Winch Design, The Rug Company – A unique exhibition celebrating the collaboration between The Rug Company and Winch Design.
– Waste No More, Eileen Fisher – zero-waste initiative brings together creativity & innovation. Learn about how Eileen Fisher is changing the way clothes are made from sustainable sourcing to her innovative take-back initiative.
– Hidden Reef collection launch, Annoushka – Discover the new Hidden Reef collection, inspired by the abundant textures and colours of the organic life found below the sea, and learn more about the craftsmanship behind Annoushka's designs.
– Series of ‘how to’ masterclasses, Little Greene – To celebrate the introduction of three new finishes for September, they will be hosting a series of ‘how to’ masterclasses at their Chelsea Showroom.
– Drawing attention: The Digital Culture of Contemporary Architectural Drawings, Roca London– An exhibition curated by professors at Rhode Island School of Design, Harvard and Carnegie Mellon Universities which reveals the promise and the speculative future of drawing: its capacity to structure, imagine, realise, speculate, transform, politicise and activate the design imagination.
– ARTEFACT FOOTWEAR PATTERNS FUTURES, London College of Fashion– Challenging the notion of how products change and influence the world we live in, ARTEFACT FOOTWEAR PATTERNS FUTURES exhibits selected work from London College of Fashion, UAL’s MA Artefact, Footwear, Pattern and Garment Technology and Fashion Futures graduates.
Private View:Thursday 19th - 6pm-8.30pmFriday 20th - 11am-6pmSaturday 21st - 11am-6pm
– Exclusive new Barneby Gates tile collection, Parkside – Parkside has announced its collaboration with Barneby Gates. Drop by their Chelsea Design Studio to be one of the first to see the new collection.Open Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm and Saturday 10am-4pm
– Peloton – chance to experience Peloton, book an appointment at the King’s Road showroom, to try the Bike, get a personalised tutorial and learn about their digital offering
– Farrow & Ball– hands-on creative demonstrations and imaginative installations, and get bespoke advice from colour experts.
– Lema– Presenting the highly customisable LT40 modular storage system by David Lopez Quincoces, resulting from a long conceptual study and an attentive industrial development. Visit Lema's King's Road Flagship Store to discover this and other new, iconic designs.Lema x LDF Cocktail Reception: Thursday 19 September – 6:30pm to 8:30pm
– The Ilse Crawford pop-up, George Smith– A pop-up exhibition space showcasing new pieces from Ilse Crawford's collaboration with George Smith and other brands
London Design Festival is taking place from Saturday 14th-Sunday 22nd September 2019 at various locations across London.
Chelsea Design District events, londondesignfestival.com.
Kelly Wearstler's entryway decor tip will give you a dramatic look you can create in a day
How your entryway can make a vibrant first impression, the Kelly Wearstler way
By Megan Slack •
Kitchen flooring ideas – 17 stylish but practical floors for kitchens
These kitchen flooring ideas will complete your space – chosen for their practicality and, of course, their looks
By Jennifer Ebert •
Farrow & Ball’s new collection with Liberty is a celebration of timeless British patterns and colors
The most fashionable collaboration of the season has revealed itself in the shape of beautiful paint colors and fabrics
By Megan Slack •
Sherwin-Williams 2022 Color of the Year combines two of the most popular tones – and we predict that it will be huge
When two of the most sought-after hues come together, it’s a match made in interior design heaven
By Megan Slack •
Hayley Williams' home in Nashville is a modern Mid-century masterpiece
The Paramore star is parting with one of her quirkily designed Tennessee homes
By Anna Cottrell •
Marie Kondo reveals her favorite room to organize – and her secret to staying motivated in challenging spaces
Even the queen of organization has her favorite spaces to clean – here she shares her secrets with H&G
By Marc Lupo •
Introducing ‘Bootilities’: The trend that prioritizes practicality without sacrificing style
What are bootilities and why do you need one in your home? This is what you need to know, according to the experts
By Megan Slack •
WIN a wood-burning stove worth £1,995 in our Contura competition
Get your home ready for colder months ahead with this fabulous competition prize from Contura and Period Living
By Melanie Griffiths •
8 of the best places to buy property in Europe – for your next vacation home
These are some of the best places to buy a second home in Europe, according to real estate experts
By Ruth Doherty •
WIN a VAX Total Cleaning System worth over £1,000 in Roost episode 12
Roost episode 12 is full of great advice, like what the best bed sheets are, how to plant succulents and you could WIN a VAX Total Cleaning System worth over £1000
By Jenny McFarlane •