This deliciously indulgent pancake recipe create a relaxing sociable mid-morning meal that will set you up for the day.
If you're already looking ahead to the next meal the perfect lunch idea is definitely one of these pizza recipes: simple but delicious.
Winter squash hotcakes with blackberries and honeycomb
Makes 10-12 pancakes
These wholemeal pancakes make a delightful weekend breakfast on autumn days. The batter is subtly spiced, but you could enhance the flavouring with a little ground ginger and mixed spice.
- 250g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 284ml buttermilk or thin, natural yoghurt
- 210g pumpkin puree (available in tins)
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 130ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g blackberries
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 100g honeycomb
1. Combine the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, use a stick blender to blitz the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, 40g sugar, egg yolks, milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold this into the spelt flour mix until almost combined, but with a few clumps of flour still remaining.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold into the mixture until just combined. Transfer to a pouring jug and allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the blackberries in a small saucepan with the remaining sugar and a splash of water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the blackberries begin to give up their juice, but still retain their shape.
4. Set a heavy frying pan over a medium heat, then dip kitchen towel into the oil and use to lightly coat the surface. Once the pan is hot, spoon or pour in the batter to form circles about 8cm diameter, leaving plenty of space between each (you will have to do this in batches). Lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Keep warm on a loosely covered plate in a low oven, and repeat until all of the batter is used, rubbing the pan with more oil if required. Serve in stacks with the blackberries and pieces of honeycomb.
Sign up to the Homes & Gardens newsletter
Decor Ideas. Project Inspiration. Expert Advice. Delivered to your inbox.
Jennifer is the Digital Editor at Homes & Gardens. Having worked in the interiors industry for a number of years, spanning many publications, she now hones her digital prowess on the 'best interiors website' in the world. Multi-skilled, Jennifer has worked in PR and marketing, and the occasional dabble in the social media, commercial and e-commerce space. Over the years, she has written about every area of the home, from compiling design houses from some of the best interior designers in the world to sourcing celebrity homes, reviewing appliances and even the odd news story or two.
RuPaul's boldly decorated closet 'redefines the walk-in closet concept' according to interior designers
RuPaul's closet, designed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard, is one of the boldest we've seen. It combines effortless beauty and function
By Sophie Edwards Published
What exactly is modern rustic style? Designers who love the look explain this timeless trend
Modern rustic is a timeless trend in the world of interior design. But how can you create this look? Design experts explain five simple ideas
By Emily Moorman Published