If you're looking for a Christmas cocktail recipe with a difference, you'll love renowned interior designer Kelly Wearstler's take on the Old Fashioned. One to add to your list of Christmas recipes, we think.
'A taste of the historied Oaxacan hillside, richly spiced with chai, maple, chocolate and burnt rosemary, this Old Fashioned is perfect for a spirited toast to darkening days and the mysteries of life,' says Kelly Wearstler.
'Infuse a bottle of Madre Mezcal with chai teabags for 12 hours. Drip 5oz maple syrup into a mixing glass then pour 0.5oz of the Madre infusion on top followed by three dashes of chocolate bitters.'
Christmas cocktail recipe – an Old Fashioned by Kelly Wearstler
You will need:
Many of the decorative items shown below are on sale at Kelly Wearstler, or of course, you can use what you already have at home.
- Madre Mezcal
- Chai teabags
- Maple syrup
- Chocolate bitters
- Rosemary method
1. To make the Madre infusion, infuse a bottle of Madre Mezcal with chai teabags for 12 hours
2. Drip 5oz maple syrup into a mixing glass then pour 0.5oz of the Madre infusion on top followed by three dashes of chocolate bitters.
3. Add ice three quarters of the way up and stir
4. Light a sprig of rosemary and top with a rocks glass to capture the smoke inside.
5. Toss two cubes into the smoke-filled glass and strain the mixed drink over top.
6. Garnish with a fresh sprig of rosemary and a dash of soulful luminescence.
What is the recipe for a traditional Old Fashioned?
The recipe for a traditional Old Fashioned is as follows:
1. Mix one teaspoon of sugar (or two of sugar syrup) with a dash of water and two splashes of Angostura bitters until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add ice and 60ml of bourbon to the glass and stir. Optional: add a splash of soda water now.
3. An Old Fashioned usually has a garnish of an orange slice – fresh is fine but we love to dry orange slices for really concentrated, festive flavor.
Sign up to the Homes & Gardens newsletter
Decor Ideas. Project Inspiration. Expert Advice. Delivered to your inbox.
Lucy Searle has written about interiors, property and gardens since 1990, working her way around the interiors departments of women's magazines before switching to interiors-only titles in the mid-nineties. She was Associate Editor on Ideal Home, and Launch Editor of 4Homes magazine, before moving into digital in 2007, launching Channel 4's flagship website, Channel4.com/4homes. In 2018, Lucy took on the role of Global Editor in Chief for Realhomes.com, taking the site from a small magazine add-on to a global success. She was asked to repeat that success at Homes & Gardens, where she has also taken on the editorship of the magazine.
RuPaul's boldly decorated closet 'redefines the walk-in closet concept' according to interior designers
RuPaul's closet, designed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard, is one of the boldest we've seen. It combines effortless beauty and function
By Sophie Edwards Published
What exactly is modern rustic style? Designers who love the look explain this timeless trend
Modern rustic is a timeless trend in the world of interior design. But how can you create this look? Design experts explain five simple ideas
By Emily Moorman Published