This year's Labor Day sales start on Monday 5th September, with major sales events expected as usual from your favorite retailers, including Bed, Bath & Beyond, Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart.
Labor Day is always on the first Monday in September and was created to honor workers' contributions to society. The Labor Day sales are traditionally a great opportunity to snap up bargains and deals on home appliances and end-of-summer lines, but the event in stores and online now includes plenty of other items, too, including tech buys and Labor Day mattress sales.
And since Labor Day falls in early September, it's a good opportunity to buy ahead now for Christmas before the Black Friday sales.
As with Black Friday and other sales events, you can expect bargains to start dropping ahead of Monday 5th September. Below, we have listed the sales to look out for ahead of the Labor Day weekend.
When do Labor Day sales start?
Officially Labor Day sales start on Monday 5th September, but look out for deals as early as the end of August to Thursday 1st September. These are the sales we know about so far:
- Amazon: back to school deals on everything from dorm room essentials to tech (opens in new tab)
- Appliances at Best Buy: 15% off Samsung Bespoke refrigerators (opens in new tab)
- Ashley Homestore: 40% off furniture and mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 80% off bedding, decor and furniture (opens in new tab)
- Home Depot: Appliance, bed and storage sale (opens in new tab)
- Lowes: Appliance and tool sales (opens in new tab)
- Nectar: Get up to $200 off mattresses and $499 of free accessories (opens in new tab)
- Overstock: Furniture, decor and bedding sale (opens in new tab)
- Saatva: Spend $999 on premium mattresses for $200 off (opens in new tab)
- Walmart: Vacuum back to school essentials sale, and more (opens in new tab)
- Wayfair: Get up to 50% off decor, furniture and kitchen appliances (opens in new tab)
When does Amazon's Labor Day sale start?
Amazon tends not to run an overt Labor Day sale, but you can still expect plenty of bargains on the site to compete with rivals. Look out for deals on home appliances, TVs and tech in particular.
What are the best deals on Labor Day
Traditionally, the best deals on Labor Day are on appliances, end-of-summer buys like outdoor furniture and general home items, such as mattresses and indoor furniture to help you get your home ready for fall. It's a really great time to pick up heavily discounted BBQ grills and outdoor furniture as retailers clear their stores of this year's stock to make way for fall and Christmas products. You can also find plenty of Labor Day tech deals.
How did Labor Day start?
Labor Day started in 1894 as a holiday to celebrate the contributions of the American Labor movement and workers. As with many federal holidays, it's more recently become a sales event, too, and represents a great shopping opportunity between the Memorial Day and Black Friday events.
Lucy Searle has written about interiors, property and gardens since 1990, working her way around the interiors departments of women's magazines before switching to interiors-only titles in the mid-nineties. She was Associate Editor on Ideal Home, and Launch Editor of 4Homes magazine, before moving into digital in 2007, launching Channel 4's flagship website, Channel4.com/4homes. In 2018, Lucy took on the role of Global Editor in Chief for Realhomes.com, taking the site from a small magazine add-on to a global success. She was asked to repeat that success at Homes & Gardens, where she has also taken on the editorship of the magazine.
What is the best color for bedroom walls? Why experts favor this color palette over all others
Neutral hues heighten a sense of cocooning for a sublime sanctuary
By Jennifer Ebert • Published
How do you revive a droopy peace lily? Fast ways to nurse your plant to health
This is how the experts bring their peace lily back to life – for a statement house plant that looks good for longer
By Megan Slack • Published