This Veganuary, London’s caterers with a conscience, Social Pantry have created a special plant-based version of brunch favourite, French toast.
You can find it at any of their three London café’-restaurants, Soane’s Kitchen in Ealing, Crane’s Kitchen in Peckham, or Social Pantry Café in Battersea.
See more recipe ideas in our entertaining section
Or, if you want to create this at home, here’s the recipe.
VEGAN FRENCH TOAST
200g ripe banana
1 tsp of cinnamon (or to taste)
300ml Coconut Milk
60ml pure maple syrup
8 slices of your favourite bread
Oil for frying
Seasonal berry compote
Something crunchy – we used a nut brittle, but you could substitute in your favourite granola or toasted seeds
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Blitz all French Toast ingredients, apart from bread and oil, in a food processor until smooth.
3. Soak the bread in the mixture, turning over when fully soaked in.
4. Bake the toast in the oven for 5-10minutes, to firm toast up.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and fry until golden brown on each side.
6. Enjoy with a dollop of compote, coconut yoghurt, and a sprinkle of something crunchy.
We had the opportunity to taste this delicious dish and can certainly vouch for its exquisite taste.
Social Pantry, socialpantry.co.uk